Even when the internet connection is down, you can still use AirPlay to stream music, images and watch videos. This means that anyone can easily show you their photographs, videos, and even stream music – all without signing in to your Wi-Fi network.
Apple TV is a brilliant solution to the question of how to consume entertainment in today’s world. It lets you watch your favorite shows on cable networks while giving you a plethora of digital entertainment options. From music to smart home management and everything in between, Apple TV is a handy little device that has you covered.
Apple TV works without Wi-Fi, allowing users to access previously downloaded games, movies or TV shows. However, many important features, such as live streaming and browsing the Internet with various apps, will not be available.
In addition to television, Apple TV acts as a hub for all sorts of different media. Streaming service providers such as Hulu and Netflix, cable networks and a host of other apps make the Apple TV’s home screen very busy. However, it’s worth noting what you can and can’t access once you’re disconnected from your home network.
Apple TV Features Available without Wi-Fi
Even if you can’t stream your favorite show or sports team offline, the Apple TV offers a host of other features that make it a worthwhile investment, even without an Internet connection. This flexibility is great for those who are always on the go or live in an area with unreliable Wi-Fi.
- Any movies or shows that you download onto your Apple TV will remain there even when you go offline. This way, if you download them while you are at home, and with some planning, you can enjoy your favorites from anywhere you are.
- Similarly, if you enjoy playing games on your Apple TV, you are free to play any of the games in your library once they are initially downloaded onto your device. Although this does require a connection to the internet at first, it is nice to access your gaming library from wherever—regardless of internet availability.
- Airplay takes the cake in being the best feature available without the need for any Wi-Fi. While you can undoubtedly use Airplay to stream content over a network connection with your Apple TV, Airplay also offers a Peer-to-Peer option to connect with your iOS device via Bluetooth instead.
Note: The Bluetooth connection mentioned above has been known to be more reliable and consistent than the Wi-Fi connected Airplay, so keep this feature in mind if you do end up using your Apple TV on Wi-Fi.
Apple TV Features Available with Wi-Fi
Not only do you gain access to all of Apple TV’s offline features, but you can also stream live TV through various apps, use HomeKit, and download new movies or games.
Apple TV is unique because it is the only home-streaming device with iTunes and its own App Store, just like you would find on an iPhone or iMac.
Below are some of my favorite Apple TV features when it is connected to the internet:
- Cable Networks: Channels you would typically find on cable TV like CBS, NBC, Cartoon Network, Food Network, etc., are all available as downloadable apps on Apple TV. These offer free access to some content or act as an on-demand cable provider if you pay for cable in your home.
- Video Streaming Services: Apple TV hosts popular apps such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, and many others. The best part about using these apps on the Apple TV is that all your saved passwords on your Keychain (password cloud offered by Apple) are carried over to your device.
- HomeKit: Apple’s smart home system is accessible on the Apple TV and allows you to turn off compatible lights, view your camera feed, or turn up the music of a connected speaker. The Apple TV acts as a hub for the system and gives you total control on the same device you use to watch your media.
Despite the many features Apple TV offers offline, it really shines when it has a steady internet connection and access to updates. Many of the apps on the Apple TV require updates, similar to those downloaded on your smartphone. It is vital to try to connect your Apple TV to Wi-Fi, if possible, to keep up on these updates that will enhance your user experience. This way, you will ensure the highest quality content that Apple TV has to offer.